A Grace Livingston Hill Free Read!

This short story by Isabella’s niece, Grace Livingston Hill, first appeared in a Christian magazine in 1917.

In “A Journey of Discovery” Louise Hasbrouck knows what everyone expects of her. She just received an offer of marriage from Halsey Carstairs, one of the city’s most eligible bachelors. Louise should feel honored and happy; instead she feels restless and anxious to talk to her old friend, Cecilia, who became a bride herself just two years before.

But when Louise arrives at Cecilia’s sweet little cottage in the country, and sees the life she leads away from the city’s whirling social scene, Louise begins to question the path society has plotted for her. Should Louise accept Halsey’s proposal, or will she find the strength to follow her heart?

You can read this story on your phone, ipad, Kindle, or other electronic device.

Or you can read it as a PDF document on your computer screen. You can also print the story to share with friends.

Click on the book cover to choose your preferred format from BookFunnel.com.

This post is part of our Blogiversary Celebration! Leave a comment below or on Isabella’s Facebook page to be entered in a drawing for a $25 Amazon gift card! We’ll announce the winner tomorrow!

21 Responses to “A Grace Livingston Hill Free Read!”

1. Ryana Lynn Miller September 10, 2018 at 5:46 am #

Sounds interesting. I’ve never read Grace before…might try it out;)

• Isabella Alden September 10, 2018 at 6:27 am #

This short story will give you a good idea of her writing style, Ryana. Hope you enjoy it! —Jenny

2. Rebekah A. Morris September 10, 2018 at 6:26 am #

Thanks for the new story! I haven’t read many books by GLH, but I’m looking forward to reading this one as it sounds interesting. 🙂

3. whitequeen54 September 10, 2018 at 6:51 am #

I thought I’d read everything by Grace Livingston Hill. This is a new one for me. Thank you!

• Isabella Alden September 10, 2018 at 11:27 am #

We’re always on the look-out for GLH stories to share. Hope you like this one. —Jenny

4. kristin September 10, 2018 at 8:19 am #

I love being able to download the stories to my computer instead of having to print them out because I read on my kindle before I go to sleep.

• Isabella Alden September 10, 2018 at 11:26 am #

Glad the Book Funnel set-up is working for you, Kristin! —Jenny

5. CutePolarBear September 10, 2018 at 12:26 pm #

Thanks for the free book! I didn’t hesitate to download it. 🙂

CutePolarBear

6. Barbara September 10, 2018 at 1:28 pm #

Thanks for this. *That* was a quick romance! Had to be short for the magazine I’m sure. I wonder if Aunt Isabella would have written it differently.

• Isabella Alden September 11, 2018 at 7:08 am #

I’m sure Isabella would have put her own unique stamp on that story. Thanks for commenting, Barbara! —Jenny

7. Karen Noske September 10, 2018 at 7:18 pm #

Love this image!!

Sent from my iPhone

8. Debby Bishop September 10, 2018 at 8:18 pm #

I have read many of GLH’s books and heartily recommend them to family and friends. So I was delighted to read this new to me story. Thanks for the free read and congratulations on your anniversary!

9. Evona York September 11, 2018 at 1:14 am #

Thank you so much for sharing this Grace Livingston Hill story that I couldn’t have gotten anywhere else. Mother started me off reading these wonderful Christian works when I was very young, and they have been a lifelong blessing.

• Isabella Alden September 11, 2018 at 7:13 am #

You’re welcome, Evona. We love being able to share little gems like this GLH story when we find them. —Jenny

10. Brenda W September 11, 2018 at 11:45 am #

I read a lot of Grace Livingston Hill’s books when I was in school years ago. I enjoy learning about her family.

11. seijalaine September 13, 2018 at 9:40 pm #

One of my favorite GLH short stories. As much as I love her books, I think she wrote short stories the best. Thank you for sharing so I could re-read it!