Pansies for Thoughts

Yesterday you read a lovely letter Isabella wrote to the students of an elementary school, thanking them for planting a tree in her honor.

Isabella’s writings—her books, stories, letters, and lessons—are filled with quote-worthy lines. Here’s an example from her novel, Tip Lewis and His Lamp:

In the story, The Reverend Mr. Holbrook asked that question of young Tip Lewis to help him realize that his resentment toward another boy was jeopardizing his own standing with God.

It was Isabella’s way of illustrating the Bible verse: “If ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”

That was Isabella’s genius: she had a talent for explaining the Bible in terms anyone—young or old—could understand.

One of the greatest admirers of Isabella’s talent was her niece, Grace Livingston Hill. When Grace was twenty-three years old, she was the newly published author of her first book, A Chautauqua Idyll. And she was ready for her next project.

Grace turned her attention to her Aunt Isabella’s books. She combed through them, selected inspiring quotes, and organized them into a daily devotional, with each quote accompanied by an applicable verse from the Bible.

The result of Grace’s efforts was called Pansies for Thoughts, and it became her second published book.

The original cover for Grace’s 1888 devotional, Pansies for Thoughts.

Isabella wrote a brief Preface for the book, with a prayer that . . .

The Holy Spirit would use these pages in a way to lead some souls daily higher, and higher, even into the “shining light” of the “perfect day.”

Pansies for Thoughts is a wonderful daily devotional, and you can read the book for free! Click here to download the e-book version for your Kindle, Nook, or tablet. Or you can download a PDF version to print or read on your computer.

This post is part of our Blogiversary Celebration! Leave a comment below or on Isabella’s Facebook page to be entered in a drawing for a $25 Amazon gift card! We’ll announce the winner on Friday morning, September 21!

16 Responses to “Pansies for Thoughts”

1. Ryana Lynn Miller September 20, 2018 at 6:39 am #

Oh! I’ve got to get this! Are we allowed to print it out? I know my mom would love to read this too, but she doesn’t do kindle;)

• Isabella Alden September 20, 2018 at 2:17 pm #

Absolutely, Ryana! There’s an option to print the book in PDF format, which should be perfect for your mom! —Jenny

2. Diane September 20, 2018 at 6:44 am #

What uplifting quotes! The picture are beautiful! Thank you for sharing! These should be on walls today to inspire and encourage. What a lady!!

3. Ashley September 20, 2018 at 6:56 am #

Thank you for the free download and for this post! I look forward to reading Pansies for Thoughts. Isabella did indeed have a talent for sharing Biblical truths in a way which I can understand. Her simple questions and comments regarding truth have pierced my heart many times and caused me to pause and “examine myself”, as Scripture says. I am thankful for literature which makes me see more of my sin in order to see more of Christ and her books certainly do that. Thank you again!

• Isabella Alden September 20, 2018 at 2:27 pm #

You’re welcome, Ashley! And you’ve perfectly described the impact Isabella’s books can have on her readers! —Jenny

4. Angie Thompson September 20, 2018 at 7:44 am #

Wow, that’s very interesting! Easy to see how you could pull enough good quotes for a whole devotional from her writing, though. 🙂

• Isabella Alden September 20, 2018 at 3:58 pm #

So true, Angie. Grace Livingston Hill did a wonderful job of tying the quote to scripture. —Jenny

5. kristin September 20, 2018 at 7:45 am #

If only these sentiments about forgiveness would be in use in the world today.

6. Rebekah A. Morris September 20, 2018 at 7:55 am #

This little book is pretty. Not only are the quotes great, but when you’ve read the story the quote comes from, it brings a flood of thoughts that only enhance the truth of the Bible verse shared.

• Isabella Alden September 20, 2018 at 10:20 pm #

That’s true! Sometimes reading the quotes in Pansies for Thoughts sends me back to reread the original book. —Jenny

7. Karen Noske September 20, 2018 at 9:26 am #

The cover you show is the one I own! I cannot tell you how blessed I am to have this connection to my two favorite authors! I read it daily and it blesses, encourages, and challenges me, convicting me and prompting me to re-read some of my favorites of her wonderful works. Thanks for this…it’s exciting to me to see that cover other than on my desk at home! Love in Christ, Karen

8. Diane Driedger September 20, 2018 at 11:18 pm #

Thank you again for the free reads n stuff. I don’t always have time to thoroughly enjoy the emails immediately so maybe I can keep a few to read in October as well! It’ll be sad when September is over and no more daily emails:’(.

• Isabella Alden September 21, 2018 at 4:47 am #